Those visiting Walt Disney World® Resort next weekend should be aware that the annual marathon will be going on. The marathon (which actually consists of several different events) will take place January 5, 2012 through January 8, 2012.
While Disney does a great job of limiting the marathon’s effects on other guests, it is likely that those guests will experience some changes due to the events. One of the most common changes is in the traffic patterns used by both those guests who drive and the Walt Disney World bus system.
As the marathon (and associated events) are being run, traffic is routinely re-routed or lanes of the road are blocked off to allow for the runners. This means it may take extra time to reach your Disney destination, but with a little patience you will arrive. Just remember, take it slow!
A limited schedule of the marathon events is offered below:
- Pasta in the Park Party,Thursday, January 5, 2012,6:30 p.m., Epcot®
- Disney Family Fiesta 5K featuring the Three Caballeros, Friday, January 6, 2012, 6:30 a.m., Epcot®
- Disney Kids’ Races, Friday, January 6, 2012 – Saturday, January 7, 2012, 11:00 a.m.,ESPN Wide World of Sports Track & Field Complex
- Mickey Mile,Friday, January 6, 2012, 12:30 p.m.,ESPN Wide World of Sports Track & Field Complex
- Walt Disney World® Half Marathon presented by CIGNA, Saturday, January 7, 2012, 5:30 a.m., Start/Finish: Epcot®
- Walt Disney World® Marathon Relay presented by CIGNA, Sunday, January 8, 2012, 5:30 a.m., Runner 1 Start: Epcot®,Runner 1 Finish/Runner 2 Start: Magic Kingdom® Park – Pluto Parking Lot, Runner 2 Finish: Epcot®
- Walt Disney World® Marathon presented by CIGNA, Sunday, January 8, 2012, 5:30 a.m., Start/Finish: Epcot®
Additional information on the marathon events may be found on the Disney World Marathon website. Following this event, the Tinker Bell Half Marathon Weekend will be offered on January 27-29, 2012. The Disney’s Princess Half Marathon Weekend will be run February 24-26, 2012. The Disney Wine & Dine Half Marathon Weekend is scheduled for November 9-10, 2012.
Those visiting the parks during the marathons may be interested in the operating hours of those parks offered by All Things Mouse on the Park Hours page.