Truly a classic ride, Cinderella’s Golden Carrousel can be found in Fantasyland of the Magic Kingdom in Walt Disney World.
It is a classic in all senses of the word. The enormous carrousel (also spelled carousel) was built back in 1917 by the Philadelphia Toboggan Company. It first appeared for eleven years at the Palace Gardens of Detroit, Michigan. Then in 1928, it was moved to Olympic Park in Maplewood, New Jersey where it ran until 1965.
Finally, in 1967, Walt Disney purchased it to be placed at the upcoming Magic Kingdom of Walt Disney World. It was refurbished and has since found most of its wooden horses replaced by fiberglass.
According to the National Carousel Association, the ride is numbered PTC (Philadelphia Toboggan Company) #46 and comes in at a whopping 60 foot diameter. This makes it possible for the ride to carry an amazing 90 jumping horses. Previous to Disney ownership, the carrousel had four chariots, but those were removed to make room for more horses.
Riders are treated to recorded band organ music of classic Disney melodies. Watchful guests may notice one super special horse, it is Cinderella’s, and it is the only one with a golden bow on its tail.
Thanks to WoodenCoasterFan for providing the video of the carrousel above.